BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS
Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, May 16, 2009

FTTH what in the world?

Welcome to my first blog. Ok I know some folks will think FTTH is some strange acronym and it is if you have never heard of it. It means Fiber to the Home. Why is it significant you ask... well lets get into that. As we inch further into the Information Age more is the key word. We want more content, more speed, more apps, more freedom, more creativity, more bandwidth.... bingo more bandwidth, more bandwidth. I work in telecommunications, specifically cable and I went to school for computer networking (I love technology if you couldn't tell) so I am sharing with the world my love for technology and want people to know what is going on right under our noses. 

FTTH will solve all of our want issues because the medium promises speeds of up to 100M bit/sec and can bring high-speed service to homes at a greater distance from a central switch than DSL. DSL is limited to a few thousand feet FTTH has a range from 6 to 50 miles if I am not mistaken. So whats the hold up? It starts with an M ends with a Y. The switch is happening though less than 10 million homes have FTTH but the goal for FTTH at every home is set for completion around 2020. (Japan and South Korea have the infrastructure now with South Korea at 49Mbps. They have one-sixth of our population. Madrid Spain is scheduled for 2016) Our median speed is 2.3Mbps which I believe is the lowest in competive markets. Well there you have it this is just the tip of the iceberg on FTTH. I will blog more on this when I get more info. I will also bring up other technologies . Hope you enjoyed

0 comments: